Forio di Ischia is the largest and most populated of the six main towns on Ischia, and is set on the western side of the island. There are almost 18,000 residents and the port has direct ferry connections to Naples.
Three things to do in Forio
- Visit the Mortella Gardens
- Relax at the Giardini di Poseidon spa
- Admire the sunset from the Chiesa del Soccorso
Forio is a favorite among visitors to the island both for the beauty of its beaches (including the famous Baia di Citara) and for its charming historic center with noble palazzi, art shops, and small artisan boutiques. Considered the cultural heart of the island, Forio is full of artisan and art workshops, and there are a number of cultural events held here each summer.
The Green Ray
Forio is known for its sunsets over the sea, best seen from the terrace in front of the Chiesa del Soccorso. If you're lucky, you can even spot the rare “green ray” as the sun dips below the horizon.
The Mortella Gardens
One of the main sights in Forio are the Gardens of Mortella, a “garden museum” created by the English Walton family and opened to the public in 1990. There are more than 3000 species of plants on the estate, some exotic and rare, and a number of fountains and ponds. Concerts are often held on the grounds in summer.
Open: 2 April to 3 November Tues, Thurs, Sat, Sun 9 to 7PM. Also open Easter Monday, 1 May, and 1 November.
Tickets: EUR 12 for adults; EUR 10 for children 12 to 18 and adults over 70; EUR 7 children 6 to 11i; free for children under 5.
Guided tours: from June to October at 10AM and 4PM on Tuesdays and at 10AM and 3:15 PM on Thursdays. Guided tours cost EUR 5 and last 2 hours. Book via email at email@example.com or call +39 081990118. Private guided tours can also be requested.
The Beaches at Forio
Forio has large sandy beaches that are sunny until dusk.
- Citara: considered the most beautiful beach on the island, and home to the Giardini di Poseidon.
- Cava: a free public beach popular with kids.
- San Francesco: a large beach with beach clubs, bars, and restaurants.
Dining in Forio
- La cantina di zio Jack: an excellent farm restaurant outside of town that offers shuttle service (call to request). Try the pasta e patate con provola!
- Umberto a Mare: the perfect spot for a romantic dinner on the seaside beneath the Chiesa del Soccorso.